Calling all Black-owned, food-based entrepreneurs!
September 27, 2022
In partnership with the PepsiCo Foundation and the National Urban League, the Urban League of Greater Southwestern Ohio has launched The Foundation of Food Entrepreneurship Program under the Black Restaurant Accelerator Program (BRAP). This is an accelerated and comprehensive 10-week business development program designed for African American food service business owners who want to build sustainable and scalable companies.
At the core of this program is a community of peers where classmates support and encourage one another to pursue business growth.
The course is guided by certified program directors, course facilitators, and subject matter experts. The highly selective program is limited to 10 participants per cohort.
Urban League’s objective is to help these businesses become profitable, nimble, and thrive.
The Foundation of Food Entrepreneurship Program will help you:
- Get connected to a community of food industry experts and business owners
- Evaluate the sustainability of your business
- Learn how to grow a food or beverage product
- Ask questions and get answers from experts and peers through the program
- Gain new skill sets and knowledge related to lab marketing, developing, pitching to buyers, and more
- Learn strategies to sustain your business in times of crisis and to build in recovery
- Practice skills targeted at alternative strategies for growth
- Obtain a $10,000 grant (must successfully complete the program)
Eligible businesses must meet the following requirements:
- Business must be at least 51% Black-owned, operated, and controlled
- For the purposes of this program, an individual who is at least 25% Black and a U.S. citizen
- Ownership, in the case of a publicly-owned business, means that at least 25% of the stock is owned by an individual who is at least 51% Black
- Business must be one of the following types of food service companies as defined by the following NAICS Codes: 722511 Full-Service Restaurants; 722513 Limited-Service Restaurants; 722330 Mobile Food Services; and 722320 Caterers
- Business Certifications: Licensed (if applicable), Registered with the Department of Revenue, and Registered with the IRS. If applicable, also registered with the Department of State
- Businesses have been operating for at least one year
Questions? Email Vanessa Sanchez, Program Manager, Economic Empowerment Center, Business Entrepreneurship Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.