5 grants women entrepreneurs can apply for in 2019
February 19, 2019
The number of women-owned businesses grew by 58 percent from 2007 to 2018, according to American Express’s 2018 State of Women-Owned Business Report.
In that same period of time, the percentage of businesses owned by black women grew by 164 percent. However, as of 2018, these black women-owned businesses earned an annual average revenue of only $24,700 compared the the $143,100 average annual revenue across all women-owned businesses, American Express research advisor Geri Stengel told Black Enterprise.
Black Enterprise recently posted about five grants available to women entrepreneurs in 2019.
• The Cartier Women’s Initiative Award is an annual business grant for early phase, for-profit, women-owned businesses. If you’ve been in business for one to three years, you could be one of seven women to receive $100K awards or one of 14 women to receive $30K awards. Winners also receive one-on-one mentoring. Apply in June.
• The Halstead Grant is for early-stage entrepreneurs in the silver jewelry industry. The winner receives $7,500 in startup capital of $1K worth of jewelry supplies. Apply by Aug. 1.
• The #GIRLBOSS Foundation Grant of $15K is awarded twice a year to for-profit women business owners in the design, fashion, music and arts industries. The application is rolling.
• The Amber Grant, established to honor a young woman who passed away before achieving her own entrepreneurial dream, awards $1K each month to women entrepreneurs. At the end of the year, the monthly winners, who can be working in any industry, have a chance to win $10K for their biz. This application is also rolling. There is a $15 fee.
• For the social entrepreneur, the Open Meadows Foundation awards two $2K awards each year to women-backed non-profit organizations with missions focused on “activism, political change, and empowerment directed by and benefiting women and girls.” Organizations must have budgets less than $75K. Small & startup organizations are prioritized in the review process. Apply between July 1 & Aug 15 for the next round.